Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Just Finished Reading Alaska by James A. Michener

A very, very long book, James A. Michener's 1988 historical/geographical novel Alaska may take a while to read through, but I think you'll like it should you have the available time for this undertaking...a friend from high school recommended it to me.  It's my fourth Michener novel so far, following Space, Centennial, and Poland.  Like Centennial, which concerned itself with a fictional Colorado county just east of the Rockies and north of Denver, Michener goes back millions of years at the start of his Alaska saga, describing the geological origins of the area in terms of continental drift, as well as revealing something I didn't know: because of its relatively dry climate, in spite of its far northern location most of Alaska wasn't subjected to the glaciation that ran rampant across the rest of the North American continent.  That's important, because during much of the early history of humanity's crossing over from Asia to Alaska the glaciers served as an effective barrier to immigration to the rest of the continent...one notable exception: the Athabascans, which populated Alaska along with other native groups like the Tlingit, Aleuts, and Eskimos, actually had a split-off group that did make it further south to form the Navaho nation.  Before the author deals with these groups...and the expansionist Russians' brutal treatment of them (especially the Aleuts) starting in the 18th century...he discusses mastodons and then mammoths as early inhabitants of the area...

One common trait, it seems, of Michener novels is the mixture of fictional characters and locations with actual historical events...Alaska was more difficult for me to distinguish the real from imaginary since I was generally pretty unfamiliar to begin with about its geography and famous historical figures.  One common thread through the years that he exposes is the prejudice of the supposedly more "civilized" European cultures against the native people and their exploitation of them.  From the Russians with their sea otter hunting and plans to stamp out native religions in favor of Orthodox Christianity on to the early mismanagement by the United States after they acquired Alaska from the Russians in 1867, Michener presents the historical trends through the eyes of his own fictional characters as those actually living in Alaska find themselves in an essentially lawless place, unable even to legally buy the land they live on. Another theme is unrepresentative rule of Alaska from the outside, be it from St. Petersburg or Seattle. The Gold Rush in the Klondike and at Nome around the turn of the century, political and judicial corruption, the salmon industry, World War II in the Aleutians against the Japanese, the discovery of oil at Prudhoe Bay, big game hunting, bush plane flying, the push for statehood, mountain climbing, reform efforts to help the native peoples in the late 20th century...all receive their fair share of treatment in this book.  My favorite part was an exploit that a fictional character performed which mirrored the same accomplishment of the very real Max Hirshberg in 1900: a 1000+ mile bicycle ride in sub-zero conditions on the frozen Yukon River!  I also loved the great detail in which Michener describes the tumultuous life cycle of the salmon...from the fish's point of view! And I've left out so much...

Alaska is, to be sure, very lengthy...but it's a worthwhile read.  I'll probably be looking into another of Michener's forty novels in the near future.  For some reason I've had trouble finding them in bookstores, either new or used, so I've been checking them out from the library instead.  Still, even there I'm having difficulty coming across some of his books I want, such as The Source, which another friend recommended.  I might have to order some of them from Amazon...



No comments:

Post a Comment