Thursday, December 12, 2019

Here Comes a Nameable Decade and New Opportunities

It looks like we're finally approaching a time...it's been twenty years...in which people can once again comfortably refer to the decade that they're living through.  After the twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties, and nineties of the last century, we ran into the "units", "zeros" or "aughts" of the early 2000s and then the never-used "teens" of the ten-year span we're almost through with...I noticed that CNN stopped their shows about the past decades after the "nineties"...if you can't name something, then how can you talk about it?  And while we're at it, can we finally stop saying "two thousand twenty" and starting calling the years like we did in the good old days as combinations of two-digit numbers? . "Twenty twenty" sounds good to me, but so does twenty nineteen, for that matter...in spite of folks still saying "two thousand nineteen"...

In anticipation of entering a decade that actually has a name, I think that here is an opportunity for personal reflection as to what I want to accomplish, not just in the year to come but also during the approaching twenties.  Getting rid of bad personal habits, instilling good ones, learning new things, experiencing adventures, being responsible with the health and prosperity I've been blessed with, enriching my relationships with my loved ones...all are worthwhile ventures.  But with time inevitably come trials and setbacks...developing the character and compassion to deal with my own and those of others is going to be a crucial element of the coming years, I am sure.  One thing I am certain of: change does not come in the future but rather in the present moment as I live though my life, one day at a time...

Hey, whaddya know, CNN has actually been reviewing the first two decades of this century...they just call it the 2000s without designating either of the two decades we've gone through...

No comments:

Post a Comment