Sunday, December 15, 2019

Enjoying Watching Mr. Bean Reruns

Mr. Bean was a British sitcom series that originally aired from 1990 to 1995, comprising 15 total episodes.  It starred comedian Rowan Atkinson as the title character, a man who finds himself in all sorts of predicaments involving everyday living and who never talks while coming up with novel ways to get around the "system".  It's all in the great old tradition of slapstick comedy from the silent films of the 1920s...Buster Keaton comes to mind as one of that era's biggest stars.  Somehow Facebook decided that I needed to watch some clips of Mr. Bean and put it on my newsfeed...that's how I got hooked on the series.  YouTube has several of the episodes as well, although each episode is actually a composite of several smaller stories that stand well on their own.  The latest clip I saw has Mr. Bean getting on a roller coaster ride, hogging the front seat all to himself and then finding, while the ride is going on, that the screaming passengers behind him are annoying and it's all so boring...he falls asleep and has to be roused after it's over: hilarious...

Apparently a cartoon spinoff series about Mr. Bean was also made, as well as two feature-length films.  But for the time being, I now have something else worth watching on TV after I get off from work late at night besides reruns of The Prisoner...what is it about those old British series, anyway...Fawlty Towers, Dave Allen at Large, and Benny Hill were also classics...

No comments:

Post a Comment