Sunday, December 22, 2019

Attended Last Night's Christmas Jubilee Jam at the Thomas Center

Yesterday evening, at the historic Thomas Center about six blocks north of downtown Gainesville, Melissa and I went to the annual Christmas Jubilee Jam, which is one of the concerts the group Gospel Meets Jazz conducts there every two months for various charities.  This event's proceeds went to fund aid for homeless students attending Alachua County's schools...a worthy cause and one befitting the Christmas season.  Lanard Perry leads this project and plays trumpet for the group onstage...I don't know the names of the jazz pianist, drummer, or guitarist, but that pianist rocks!  The two-hour show featured guest singers who, along with the band, performed various Christmas and gospel songs...mostly to a jazz format that totally worked.  They also had a barbershop quartet that sang acapella several old Yuletide hits...it all was very entertaining and I was impressed with both the musicianship of everyone involved and the sweet spirit and good tidings they shared with the enthusiastic audience...

As I shared before, Gospel Meets Jazz holds its concerts every two months at the Thomas Center on 302 NE 6th Avenue.  The music is faith-based and uplifting...and exciting! I'm thinking about going to another or more of their shows next year...their dates: Feb 21, Apr 24, June 19, Aug 14, Oct 16...and then on to the next Christmas Jubilee Jam in December, 2020.  You probably want to purchase tickets in advance...the show we just went to had sold out.  Here's their website link: [gospelmeetsjazz]...

No comments:

Post a Comment