Saturday, November 2, 2019

Thinking of Teaching Self a Musical Instrument (or Two)

My father was an excellent country-style guitar player and also played clarinet earlier in his life...his singing sounded a lot like that of Hank Williams.  My mother was also adept at guitar to the point of mastering the basic chords necessary to accompany folk songs that as children me and my sister Anita, a very good singer, would sing along with her while she played.  My son Will became a very good piano player and my daughter Rebecca has a talent for hearing tunes and readily transferring them to instrument as well as for her beautiful singing voice. And my wife Melissa played flute in her high school band.  Me?  I'm very good at listening to music and not much more.  I took some private piano lessons a few years ago but didn't progress very far, although I managed to survive a recital playing a short classical piece.  Musical ability for most of us is something that works best when we start it very early in life...a lot of classical composers started out learning music and playing instruments as toddlers and Mozart wrote most of his officially-credited symphonies by the age at which I graduated from high school.  So in stating that I'd be interested in my later years taking on learning a musical instrument may sound like a lost cause...but I think I'll try it anyway, focusing on  teaching myself basic guitar and reviewing and surpassing my previous instruction level on the keyboard.  There are even apps that help with this sort of thing and I plan to make full use of them.  Should be interesting, everybody plug your ears...

No comments:

Post a Comment