This morning I drove over to Tacachale, a local residential and care community for the developmentally disadvantaged, and ran their annual Thanksgiving Turkey Trot race. I've run it three times before...this year they gave the choice of going 5K (3.1 miles) or 10K (6.2 miles): I stuck with the 10K distance. After my deliberately slow half-marathon race earlier this month I decided to try running at a more honest pace and finished with a time of 1:02:18, at a 10 minute/mile pace. The course was pretty crowded...679 5K finishers and 207 for the 10K, but the organizers did manage to stagger the two distances' starting times by about five minutes and varied the course early on, preventing everybody from tripping over each other. The 10K course took us down paths of asphalt, dirt, woods, and fields...pretty fun! The parking for the many contestants was well-directed and hassle-free, hydration stations were provided, spaced along the course for thirsty runners, and there was bathroom access near the starting line. Following the race they had water, Gatorade, bananas, bagels, and cookies. I thought the whole atmosphere was very positive and encouraging...I enjoyed the experience. Also, none of the problems I had experienced in runs gone by happened...no cramping or deep coughing and my energy level stayed strong to the end. The skies were clear and the temperatures stayed in the 60s throughout the run with around 60% humidity...great conditions. Looking forward to continuing my training...
Here are the results of the Turkey Trot...just click on the following link: [results].
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment