Saturday, August 10, 2019
Rays Owner's Proposal to Split Season with Montreal
A few weeks ago, already well into the 2019 baseball season, Tampa Bay Rays owner Stu Sternberg proposed...by 2024...splitting his team's home games with Montreal, Canada. The Rays would play the first half of the regular season here in Florida and Montreal fans would get the rest of their schedule. The proposal sparked outcries and derision from fans, the St. Petersburg mayor (where the Rays home games are currently played), players...who would consequently need to establish a home in each city...and even disinterested observers. Sternberg wants a new stadium built across the bay in Tampa and perhaps this is nothing more than a wake-up call to move that project forward. Only one problem: taxpayers...and hence voters...in my home state are notorious for rejecting large spending projects: after all, low taxes is one major reason...besides the temperate climate...why they're living here in the first place. As for myself, I once thought it would be fun to attend some of the Rays games, but the ticket prices seemed way too steep for me. Still, these major league sports teams, including those like Tampa Bay in Major League Baseball, derive a great portion of their revenue from television...and that was something I watched a lot. That is, until I felt that the Rays owner was setting in motion his abandonment of Florida in favor of Canada. Suddenly my interest in this team, which was doing remarkably well this year in the standings (and still is), crashed and I refused to follow their games anymore...I wonder how many other Rays fans did the same? Well, their current ball park is rated as one of the worst in either league, and if they can come to an agreement to build a less ambitious new park that doesn't offend the local taxpayers, maybe owner Sternberg will find it in his heart to keep the team here. So yes, I am once again rooting for them...at least until the moment they start to pull up stakes and move away...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment