Monday, July 8, 2019

New Tropical System Forming from Mainland U.S.

A tropical low weather system, currently over the southern U.S. mainland, is expected to reach the Gulf of Mexico south of the Florida peninsula in the next couple of days, strengthen at least to tropical depression level, and consequently dump a lot of rain and stormy weather on northern Florida later on this week.  The "experts" generally expect it to drift in a more westward direction, away from us in north central Florida. Normally I wouldn't even mention this on my blog, but I read on social media where one meteorologist...name unknown since I can't recover the post...noted that this phenomenon of a tropical system originally coming off the U.S. mainland is unprecedented in his experience. All the other Atlantic systems that got their start over land have originated in western Africa, even those that eventually made their way into the Gulf of Mexico.  Since that area in western Africa is essentially scorched hot and dry desert land, I'm not sure what this says about what's in store for us in the southeastern U.S....who knows, maybe this will "blow over" and just be a rare curiosity.  Then again, if this begins a new recurring trend, then I want to record its beginnings here on this blog.  After all, can you remember plotting the course of a tropical system by starting with Georgia?

No comments:

Post a Comment