I have a choice with this ongoing presidential campaign between just sticking my head in the sand ostrich-like and trying my hardest to ignore all of the noise around me or becoming as well-informed as I can be regarding the different candidates and their character, ideology, and positions on the various issues. I've decided on the latter strategy and as such will be listening to the Democratic Party debates being held tomorrow and Thursday evening from 9 to 11. Broadcast from Miami, each debate will feature ten candidates...drawn at random from those polled at 1% or higher...and will be shown on the NBC channels as well as being available with online streaming from NBC.com and other sources. I said "listening" because I'll be at work or driving home for most of each debate's duration. Of course, I already know that my purely audio impressions often differ from those I get from both listening and watching, as they did during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings and Trump's State of the Union addresses...
Even if you're not a Democrat and plan to support Trump in next year's election, you probably might want to tune in as well...I'm sure Limbaugh and the other conservative opinion makers will be doing so. Looks like Cory Booker, Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, and Amy Klobuchar will be headlining the Wednesday debate while Thursday's will feature Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Bernie Sanders, and Kamala Harris. And the others, of course, will be looking to capitalize on their brief moment in the national spotlight to kickstart their campaigns and gain some recognition. As for me, I've always liked Klobuchar for her intelligence, reason, and pragmatism and am repelled by a few candidates who are more into political correctness and emotionally manipulating the electorate...for now I'll leave these unnamed. And I'm more than a little skeptical about those espousing pie-in-the-sky solutions to our nation's problems that have virtually no chance of becoming law during their administrations should they find themselves elected...
I'm also interested in hearing how the questions are posed and whether they are fair to the candidates or more slanted and tailored to play "gotcha" against one or more of them. Yes, I'll be tuned in...how about you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment