Thursday, June 6, 2019

Can PopVox Improve Constituent Engagement?

I tuned in to C-Span2 this morning with the forlorn hope of watching the United States Senate in the act of actually doing something.  But no, they had already decided last night to adjourn all the way to next Monday afternoon...last one out off the lights!  Instead, the channel that faithfully broadcasts their proceedings...when there are proceedings...was showing a House committee hearing on improving constituent engagement.  I wasn't quite sure of this idea, since although senators and representatives have their town hall meetings and can already be reached by e-mail and social media, they tend to vote in lock-step with whatever their glorious leader...be it McConnell, Schumer, Pelosi, or McCarthy...dictates to them, regardless what their constituents back home are saying.  Still, I found it intriguing enough that when PopVox co-founder Marci Harris, who spoke at the hearing, said that her site was determined to consolidate people's federal, state, and local elected officials on one dashboard and expedite communications with them, I decided to sign up myself and see what it was about.  I soon discovered that PopVox is a work in progress...they only had my two Florida senators (Rubio & Scott) and House representative (Yoho) on it.  On the right side of the screen, every single legislative active these three were directly involved in was listed, the latest listed first...I found that instructive.   But since I was disappointed that they didn't show my state senator, state representative, and local county and city commissioners, I wrote them an e-mail.  The response, by Ms. Harris, was that they are testing a more vertical federal-state-local site in six locations this year and plan to implement it nationwide in 2020...that's cool, I'm willing to wait a little...

I like to be able to better know what my elected representatives are really up to on their jobs besides their often deceptive spoken rhetoric.  As for giving them my opinions as one of their constituents, I think that what usually happens is that a senator or representative will claim to be attentive to our concerns but will then cherry-pick and use only those comments that dovetail nicely with their  already-decided direction.  So whereas I welcome more information from them coming to me on a site like this, I'm a bit skeptical about my elected leaders caring a whit about my information going out to them...

By the way, just going by the title, what exactly did you think this article was going to be about?

No comments:

Post a Comment