Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Watched a Bernie Sanders Speech on C-Span This Morning

I was sitting there this morning watching a Bernie Sanders campaign speech in Iowa and came away from it with the conviction that, his faults and past allegiances aside, he is the strongest candidate I'm seeing right now to not only win the Democratic Party nomination for president but also the 2020 general election against Donald Trump.  I say this because Sanders is very transparent about his views on the issues facing us today and makes them the repeating themes in his addresses.  And these speeches, unlike the ones Trump likes to give, are not full of ridicule and personal insults against other individuals.  I have been disappointed with Joe Biden's campaign so far, which he seems determined to have as dominant themes (1) how bad Trump is, (2) what a good guy ol' Joe is who's trying to bring our country together, and (3) how chummy he is with Barack Obama...he's got to come up with more than that as I don't believe he'll be able to coast to the nomination based on eight years as somebody else's vice-president.  Yet Biden has a certain advantage over Sanders, much in the same way that John McCain was able to outflank his Republican rivals in that party's 2008 presidential primary system.  McCain stood out easily then as the most centrist candidate while his opponents split up the more conservative vote among themselves, giving the Arizona senator some spectacular early primary wins that snowballed his impetus to the nomination that year.  For 2020, the progressive wing of the Democratic Party is even more heavily split among many candidates besides Bernie Sanders: Beto O'Rourke, Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar, and others will most likely seriously cut into Sanders' support in the early primaries and caucuses to the benefit of Biden.  So while I expect Sanders to continue gathering support, I wonder whether it will be enough...just the other day House Speaker Nancy Pelosi urged the party to nominate someone who will appeal more to the voters in middle America who slipped over to the Trump camp in 2016. That sounds on the surface like she's trying to promote a more centrist nominee...but if so I think she might be misreading the sentiments of those millions of voters, many of whom may be very sympathetic to the often populist appeal of Bernie Sanders' take on the issues as well as being more appreciative of his candor in directly addressing his views about them...

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I've been a strong Sanders supporter since he ran in the last election. But I too am worried that the DNC will promote a more centrist candidate and Ido not like Biden.

    ReplyDelete