Saturday, May 25, 2019

Space Program is Each President's Political Toy

I find it pretty frustrating that with each new administration in Washington our space program gets turned topsy-turvy as the incoming president almost always has a different emphasis and ideas as to where he wants to go with it.  With the last four presidents, Bill Clinton cared little about getting humans out of near-Earth orbit while George W. Bush set into motion plans for a more powerful rocket to take us back to the moon...this time for a permanent base...while retiring the Space Shuttle.  Barack Obama then abruptly ended that, breaking a campaign promise he had made to Floridians just before the 2008 election, and changed the emphasis to outsourcing rocket-building and the manned space programs to private firms like Space X and focusing instead on going to Mars and the Asteroids much further into the future.  And now Donald Trump has steered the program back to the moon, with the idea of establishing businesses there as well as a platform to eventually make trips to the Red Planet.  Although I am totally on board with our current president's program...and each president does have undue influence over our space efforts since NASA is an agency within the Executive Branch...I also am skeptical that it will stay in place beyond his tenure in office.  Whoever succeeds him, I'm sure, will want to put their own personal stamp on the space program...something I find extremely counterproductive as it causes massive changes of our goals every few years.  No wonder we've been stuck having to depend on the Russians to launch our own astronauts into space for so long!  We desperately need to be able to make our space program not such a political toy for each president to play with...and wreck in the process.  In this I am referring primarily to manned exploration and settlement of other worlds, efforts that need a continuity of bipartisan political support spanning many years for them to bear any fruit.  Naturally, I'm hearing next-to-nothing about this problem in the already-overheated, much-too-early presidential race from the other candidates.  Here's an issue on which that I can stand with Trump...unfortunately, his program may be doomed if he loses the 2020 election just because he himself pushed it...if he loses, his successor will doubtless turn around and change everything once again.  Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment