Sunday, May 5, 2019
Ran the May Day Glow Run 5K Yesterday Evening
The last time I had run the May Day Glow Run 5K in 2017 it was based at the Tioga Town Center off Newberry Road, with the course winding up and down the adjacent residential neighborhood's streets. I was thrown off when it finally dawned on me yesterday just a few hours before the race that its site had changed to a smaller subdivision called Arbor Greens, about a half-mile further west on Newberry Road and on the north side...more properly in Jonesville than Tioga. They had also listed online that the registration would close at 6:30 pm, so I had to get there earlier than planned...and then went over to the nearby Tioga Starbucks, where I watched the Kentucky Derby on my smartphone. Then I made my way back to Arbor Greens, not knowing at all what to expect from this different version of the May Day Glow Run...only that it would be dark...
I ran the race, which began at 8:15, with no problems other than that the humidity felt a lot higher than the official 40%...the temperature was around 85, not a problem to an old South Florida boy like me. I enjoyed the positive spirit of the runners and walkers...the race was demographically weighted heavily toward children and teens. This was most likely due to the fact that it was organized by Newberry Community Christian School. And they did a great job running it...with a small problem at the end. Like most other races, there was an awards ceremony for the best overall finishers and for those in different age categories. But the young man entrusted to announcing the awards demonstrated clearly that he did not want to be there and increasingly announced the winners with marked impatience, soon not even reading the names but just the bib numbers in a rush...he couldn't wait to get out of there. That was sad to witness, since the background race organization was done so well and this was their chance to publicly interface directly with the assembled runners...which due to this individual went badly. Still, I plan to run it next year if it's still "on"...after all, nothing's compelling me to stick around for the awards. I did finish with my easy-paced time of 30:38 and it was the second race in a row that I received an award for top finisher in my age category because I was the ONLY finisher in my age category...talk about total domination...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment