Monday, May 20, 2019

Disappointed With Current Alternative Music "Hits"

I've expressed before on this blog that my popular music tastes tend to focus on alternative/indie rock, which in the past has produced many memorable songs and brought my attention to several talented, inspired acts.  Of late, however, I have noticed that the most popular alternative hits are insipid songs that musically display little creativity.  Instead, the performers seem like they are competing on those TV reality talent shows I avoid like the plague and which are so popular in this era.  It hasn't always been like this...as a matter of fact, I didn't notice the change within the genre until around three years ago.  The other day I was listening to Google Play's Alternative Hotlist, which plays the current rotation of chart-toppers in alternative music...and after an hour of wincing and grimacing finally gave up and switched to one of their artist-oriented channels.  You see, if you want to hear music of the general type of a particular act you like, you just enter the act's name and their algorithm will create a station around it.  I chose Radiohead, and found myself sighing with relief as one song after another was played that resonated with me.  Unfortunately, almost all of them were songs from the past...is anybody coming out with anything interesting these days?  I have to search high and low for a current song that doesn't bore me to tears...

No comments:

Post a Comment