Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Congress Taking Yet Another Whole Week Off from Work

For many of us we enjoyed the Memorial Day weekend off from work while honoring those who fell in war to protect our freedoms.  Many worked as well...but we're all anticipating returning to our normal work schedules today, the day after Memorial Day...right? Wrong!  Our elected national Congress has scheduled the entire week of Memorial Day off...after all, I guess they think they work so hard on our behalf that they need the extra time...not! I find it more than a little disconcerting that the Senate Majority Leader keeps complaining about the Democrats holding up Trump's nominations and bills, yet the Senate takes off 17-18 full weeks per calendar year...and that doesn't include the weekends.  The House of Representatives takes even more days off,  missing many Mondays and Fridays.  I suppose the rationale for this is that members need to return to their respective states and districts to keep in touch with the people they represent...if this were only so.  Instead, I see party leaders tightly holding their caucuses together in lock-step votes on most issues presented on the floor instead of the members themselves voting according to their own individual consciences and convictions.  I'm sure that when the Senate finally gets around to reconvening on Monday afternoon of June 3rd, Senator McConnell will return to bemoaning how far behind the Senate is with its work...well, dude, if you're so concerned about getting things done then why don't you show up for work like the masses of people you claim to represent? I'm going to work this afternoon, but politicians apparently believe they need a whole week to recover from a holiday...I guess they're just better people than us ordinary folk...

No comments:

Post a Comment