The redacted version of independent counselor Robert Mueller's report about his investigation of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election came out around 11 this morning...I was watching the lead-up to the release, including the press conference by Attorney General William Barr and the cable news channels talking heads' reactions. As expected, Barr restated his earlier summary's position that there was no demonstrated collusion on the part of Donald Trump or his campaign with the Russians and that regarding obstruction, the evidence did not rise to the standard of warranting prosecution. Barr did...and I think to his credit...candidly reveal that his views of the theory of illegal obstruction did vary with that of the independent counselor, but of course we already knew that. Barr's press conference performance was roundly criticized by CNN and MSNBC panelists for being too sympathetic to the President while Fox was generally supportive of Barr. Someone on CNN did correctly mention that attorneys general in the past have often been seen, besides serving as the country's chief law enforcement official, as politically supportive of the sitting president...examples on the Democratic side are Obama's Eric Holder and Lorretta Lynch, Clinton's Janet Reno, and John F. Kennedy's own little brother Robert. I'm no fan of Trump but I always felt that Barr has done his best to be fair and impartial...I saw nothing in his press conference to take issue with. I heard that, in accordance with the law, he did allow a Trump attorney to see the redacted version without comment or revision a few hours before it was released to Congress and the public, but now that everyone can see it I look at that preview as a moot point...
So now anyone who wants to can read the Mueller Report...Barr stated in his press conference that it would be made available on the Justice Department's website. I'm sure that in the next few hours and days a lot of it will come to the forefront of the news. And after everyone gets to examine the document, it would be a good idea for Robert Mueller to testify before Congress to clarify different sections that many assuredly will have questions about. But there's one overriding element of this news story on which everyone agrees but gets very little coverage: the Russian government massively interfered in our 2016 election. And that is what I am the most interested in learning about, especially with another election looming before us...
Thursday, April 18, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment