Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Cold Weather Burst and Upcoming 5K Race in Tioga

I'm sitting here in my living room looking out the window...it's around 50 degrees and lightly raining, a brief respite from the overheating we've been experiencing here in northern Florida during this supposedly "winter" season.  The temperatures aren't expected to rise today and then they will dip for the next two nights to near freezing, just when I thought we were through with cold weather for the year.  I used to be able to go throughout the winter without having to mow my lawn...now it looks like a cornfield out there and it's already been mowed a couple of weeks ago.  Well, I actually like getting out the push mower...and so does our fourteen-year old dog Freckles, who goes into an exuberant barking, tail-wagging fit whenever I pull the contraption out of the shed...

On a different subject, I had previously decried the ending of the Run for Haven 10K/5K running race that had been held at the Tioga Town Center annually around St. Patrick's Day.  Well, although that particular race is gone, a new race, called Miles for Meridian 5K, will take place on Saturday, March 16th at Tioga...again with a St. Patrick's theme.  Although I preferred the 10K (6.2 miles) distance and the 4 pm starting time with the Haven races and Meridian's is only for 5K (3.1 miles) and starts at 8:30 am (ugh!), I'm considering entering it in hopes of resuming a tradition in March at Tioga, a pretty residential community with shops a few miles west of Gainesville off Newberry Road.  True, I can go to Depot Park any Saturday morning and run a timed and posted 5K race without an entry fee and Miles for Meridian costs a few bucks, but it's all for a good cause...Meridian Behavioral Healthcare treats mental illness and substance abuse...and a change of venue is always a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment