Monday, January 21, 2019

Patriots and Rams Advance to Super Bowl on February 3rd

In the National Football League playoffs yesterday, I watched both the National Conference championship game between Los Angeles and New Orleans and that of the American Conference with Kansas City going against New England.  Ordinarily I don't just sit there and watch entire games, but this time I did this that...with both of them.  They were very entertaining and suspenseful, both with anxiety-filled final moments in regulation and eventually going into overtime.  One of my teams won and one lost...ironically I feel a bit worse about the game "my" LA Rams squeaked out against the Saints, and all because of a horribly blown call near the end of regulation.  New Orleans had been driving downfield in a 20-20 tie and looking to run down the clock as they sought to take the lead and then deny Los Angeles any time to come back.  Quarterback Drew Brees threw a strong pass at receiver Tommylee Lewis just short of the end zone...just before the ball got to him Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman slammed and decked him, the ball flying on past them.  The officials made no pass interference call although it had to be one of the most blatant penalties I ever saw.  The result was that the Saints ran out of downs too early and had to settle for a field goal, after which Los Angeles had enough time left to march down the field and get one of their own, sending the game into overtime...which they won.  Well, I'm glad the Rams won, but not like that...

In the other game the New England Patriots beat the Kansas City Chiefs as the two teams, following slow offensive starts, together scored 38 points in the fourth quarter alone.  The Patriots won the crucial coin toss entering overtime, meaning that they would probably win since KC and New England were just going back and forth trading touchdowns at the end...and Pats quarterback Tom Brady executed a long, textbook winning drive.  I'm rooting for the Rams in February 3rd's Super Bowl...or should I say more accurately that I'm rooting against the Patriots...

No comments:

Post a Comment