Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Looking to Run 15K or Half-Marathon in Ocala on the 20th

Back in the 2011 Ocala Marathon, which featured a course running through beautiful horse country south of the city, I managed to painfully finish it despite an IT-band injury just below my right knee causing sharp pain whenever I ran.  I had gotten to about the 10-mile mark with no real trouble, but that pain then began to make itself known and intensified to the point when I had to alternate short runs with short walks...walking at a moderate pace caused little pain.  By the 19-mile mark I told a volunteer that I was ready to quit the race...she encouraged me to walk out the rest of it so that I could say that I finished a marathon.  Well, I did just that, finishing in around 6 hours.  After that I abandoned marathon races and focused on half-marathons as my distance race of choice...I've completed 11 of them so far, including the Ocala Half-Marathon in 2013 when I finished with my second-best time for that distance at 1:55:20. Since then I've never gone back down there and the race organizers themselves abandoned the marathon event, transforming their annual January race into a choice between the half-marathon, 15K, 10K, and 5K distances.  This year it's coming up on Sunday the 20th, and after being informed that I can wait until race-day morning to register on-site, I'm seriously considering going down there.  But which race would I run...

Ideally, running and finishing a half-marathon is what I want, but I finished a local 15K (9.3 miles) race a month ago and kind of like that distance, too.  Next month I plan to run my 6th Five Points Half-Marathon here in Gainesville (I hear they're going to have a completely different race course, sad to say), so I can defer a half-marathon run to that time.  No, I'm thinking maybe that a 15K in Ocala might do me well this time around, but I probably won't know for sure which race to run until I get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment