I've just begun going over the science fiction anthology Isaac Asimov Presents The Great SF Stories 3 (1941). This series, which covers short science fiction spanning from 1939 through 1963, has some very interesting commentary, both in the preface and before each story, by editors Isaac Asimov...himself a renowned sci-fi writer...and Martin H. Greenberg. Used copies of the series are still available...Amazon probably has them all (as do I). And now I'll discuss the first four tales appearing in the 1941 book...
MECHANICAL MICE by Maurice A. Hugl
Barman, a tinkerer and friend of the narrator, keeps coming up with incredibly innovative inventions. One day he comes clean and reveals to his buddy that he has only truly invented one thing: a time machine that allows him to see off into the future and, from that vantage point, study future technology and copy it back in the present. This is all well and good for his "inventions" that serve a discernible function, but his last one, which he has been working on for a long time, is a box of sorts with complex machinery that he knows nothing about...other than he discovered it off in the distant future and brought its design back. Eventually, though, the thing turns itself on and insidiously begins its original task...which had Barman been aware of he never would have built it in the first place. Although Barman's invention may not have been original, this story idea was...alternately funny and very scary...
SHOTTLE BOP by Theordore Sturgeon
I actually reviewed this very story a year ago...you can read it by clicking on the following link: [Shottle Bop]. Sturgeon was an excellent science fiction short story writer and he was responsible for the horror tale It from the 1940 anthology. When I think of the hoodlum character who narrated Shottle Bop, I'm reminded of that unforgettable narrator and character Henry Hill from the movie Goodfellas, played by vodka-drinking and cigarette-quitting actor Ray Liotta. And I loved that annoying, insulting shopkeeper...
THE ROCKET OF 1955 by Cyril Kornbluth
Kornbluth was a promising young science fiction writer who penned this story in his teens. Sadly, he had a heart condition early on and died at age 35 one day in 1958 while shoveling snow after a storm. The Rocket of 1955 is the ultimate space hoax...maybe moon hoax believer Stephen Curry should read it between basketball games. It's also one of the shortest short stories in the entire series...very intense and to the point!
EVOLUTION'S END by Robert Arthur
Back when I was in the tenth grade in high school, I wrote a short story for my English class that I thought I was being very original with...it involved a view that human history was cyclic in nature and that there was a real, historical basis for the creation myth. Since then I've come across three other stories, including a Twilight Zone episode and this one by Robert Arthur, that have used the exact same idea. Still, I was interested in this tale's characters...always a sign of good writing...that is, until I began to analyze the different names. Then I suddenly realized what the author was up to and I sighed to myself in disappointment. Robert Arthur, through the super-brainy character Master Dmu Dran, discusses the nature of evolution and comes up with some interesting perspectives. Worth looking into...
Next week: more short science fiction from 1941. By the way, these stories are so old that there's a good chance some of them are now in the public domain and available to read on the Internet...copying and pasting story titles into a search engine might produce good results...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment