Well, the 2018 midterm elections are over and there are mixed results to muse upon. For me as an American who is very distrustful of this current presidential administration, I am gratified that the House of Representatives has gone over to Democratic Party control...at least one part of our three branches of government will be able to act as a check on the executive branch, the way the framers of our Constitution had intended...don't look for any help from the Republicans in that regard. It looks, however, as if the U.S. Senate will add as many as three seats to the Republican majority there, due in large part to the effect that Donald Trump had on the numerous states that were in play and which he chose to hold repeated rallies in. His message was one of rage and fear: rage that Brett Kavanaugh had been treated unfairly in his confirmation process and fear that the caravan of asylum-seeking refugees currently traipsing through southern Mexico poses a grave threat to our national security. Combining this with the bald-faced lie that Republicans were also for enforcing health insurance for those with pre-existing conditions...something that they have never done in Congress but which they actually repeatedly fought against...it all worked to convince enough dupes to give his candidates in Florida
Now I'm seeing that there's a big brouhaha here in Florida about the Senate race between Rick Scott and Bill Nelson, in which the Republican governor is currently holding a 15,000 vote lead. The Republicans are alleging election fraud and Scott has filed suit...looks like there will be a recount. As for me, I wanted Nelson to win and retain his Senate seat, but I think he truly lost the election and Scott should replace him in January...
BUT WAIT, I spoke too soon! Apparently, in Arizona the slow vote-counting has switched the lead from Republican to Democrat in that state's US Senate race. Maybe I should reconsider what's going on in Florida, too...is the counting still going on there as well?
No comments:
Post a Comment