Friday, October 12, 2018

Quote of the Week...from Stephen King

Get certain. Do your job. Vote.                              ---Stephen King

Often when I present someone's quote on this blog I don't know the context in which he or she is making it.  Gladly, this is not the case with Stephen King's quote: he posted it yesterday on Twitter, with a link to a tweet from USA Today that read, "A new survey found that just 35 percent of Americans ages 18-29 are 'absolutely certain' that they will vote in November."  King wasn't very happy about that number, consequently his admonition.  I, on the other hand, am astounded in a positive sense with it, as I will explain...

As I showed in my Tuesday article this week, the percentage of registered voters aged 18-29 has been utterly dismal for off-year general elections, i.e. elections in even-numbered years when the presidency wasn't being voted on (like 2018).  Their voting turnout for 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014 was 18.2%, 20.3%, 20.3%, and 16.3%, respectively.  So for registered voters in this age range to rise up to 35% for this coming election is certainly encouraging...but that's not all.  The USA Today report expressed 35% of Americans 18-29, not just registered Americans in that group!  Maybe they misreported this part, but if even if they did, we may be looking at a lot of surprises on election night, November 6th...

No comments:

Post a Comment