I am currently juggling three fantasy fiction series with my reading: Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive (I've just quickly reread the first two books in anticipation of starting the third), Lightbringer by Brent Weeks (about to start book two), and this one: Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. I was fortunate in that my son Will, an avid reader, already had the first two volumes...including Before They Are Hanged, which I just finished reading. Of the different series, I clearly prefer Abercrombie's because he keeps the magic uncluttered from excessive detail...very refreshing!
In the world of The First Law, we see the central kingdom, called The Union, threatened in war by different forces, one from the north (the Northmen) and one from the south (the Gurkhuls). Part of the troubles arise from an ancient feud taking place between the order of the Magi (near-immortal wizards) that is playing itself out. There are three separate narratives going on throughout this second installment: Collem West, a brave and loyal officer for the Union, is in the north with his forces fighting Bethod's Northmen (resembling the Vikings) in concert with a band of renegade northern fighters, the Dogman being the main character among them. In the south, the brutal Gurkish Empire is laying siege to the Union city of Dagoska, and Inquisitor Glokta (an exquisitely cynical, insightful, and pragmatic protagonist) has been sent to head the resistance and sort out corruption and treason. And in the west, a motley band is venturing to retrieve what Magi Bayaz calls "the Seed" that will purportedly aid him in saving the world and settling his ages-old scores...with him on the trek are Northman Logen "Ninefingers", Ferro (a violent, vengeful woman from the south), Jezal (a master fencer with no combat experience), and a couple of minor characters (at least right now they're minor). The book toggles between these three narratives, all of which are very interesting...I grew to care about these characters and how they might survive (or not survive) their many ordeals. As expected, the end of this book left me hanging, eagerly ready to start the last one, titled Last Argument of Kings. One problem: Will didn't seem to leave this one behind...or at least I haven't yet found it...so I'll have to check it out from the library. Not a problem: I've got plenty of other stuff to read in the meantime...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment