Sunday, September 16, 2018

Early Evening Sky Loaded With Planets, Moon

Yesterday evening just after sunset I stepped outside and looked at the southwest sky...it was a celestial treat with planets abounding.  Nearing the horizon was very bright Venus while Jupiter, still much brighter than any of the surrounding stars, was a little higher.  A little to the left was the moon, approaching its first quarter phase.  And over some more, about due south, was the planet Mars, much brighter than it usually is.  I've been neglecting sky gazing for quite some time recently...the main reason is that it's been so doggone unpleasant at night during this still-sweltering summer here in northern Florida, combined with awful humidity and constantly pestering mosquitos.  Usually in the evening I'm at work, and when I finally do get home my habit has been to get something to eat and watch a little TV.  But yesterday I was off, and I didn't stay outside long enough to get consumed by the nasty little bloodsuckers, who seem to be especially plaguing us more than usual this summer...

So at least in the early evening, if the sky is clear, you'll be able to see three of our fellow planets and a pretty bright moon.  I have to contend with city lights where I live, so the stars just don't work out here for me.  Still, I'll probably be star-gazing more whenever...if ever...the mosquitos kindly pack up and leave us in peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment