Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Tuesday's List: Proposed State and Local Amendments for November Election

A few days ago Alachua County's Supervisor of Elections Kim Barton sent to me, under my alter ego's moniker "Resident", a detailed list of the Florida State Constitution amendments to be voted on in the general election to be held November 6. Along with these thirteen proposed changes are two Alachua County questions and two proposed revisions to Gainesville's city charter. So, you can see that there's more to citizen participation in their government than picking their own representatives: sometimes we can directly make an impact on issues we care deeply about.  I like this because...let's face it...I might go for one political party over another because they side with me on some crucial issues or their general philosophy of government resonates with mine, but on many issues I may be completely at odds with their positions.  By having these amendment questions I can cut through all that and address each one for myself.  It also gives me a greater appreciation of what lawmakers have to go through when handling legislation...it can get pretty doggone complicated.  The brochure I received from the elections supervisor also included brief summaries of what each amendment is about...I may be discussing a few of them in future articles leading up to the election.  By the way, the deadline for registering to vote in the 2018 general election is October 9...early voting will be October 22 through November 3.  And oh, by the way, if you're reading this before the polls close at 7 pm this evening, have you voted yet in today's primary election?

Here's that list...I alternately highlighted each entry in blue and red to help the reader visually distinguish them from each other... 

PROPOSED STATE CONSTITUTION AMENDMENTS
1 INCREASED HOMESTEAD TAX EXEMPTION
2 LIMITATIONS ON PROPERTY TAX ASSESSMENTS
3 VOTER CONTROL OF GAMBLING IN FLORIDA
4 VOTING RESTORATION
5 SUPERMAJORITY VOTE REQUIRED TO IMPOSE, AUTHORIZE, OR RAISE STATE TAXES OR FEES
6 RIGHTS OF CRIME VICTIMS; JUDGES
7 FIRST RESPONDER AND MILITARY MEMBER SURVIVOR BENEFITS; PUBLIC COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
8 SCHOOL BOARD TERM LIMITS AND DUTIES; PUBLIC SCHOOLS
9 PROHIBITS OFFSHORE OIL AND GAS DRILLING; PROHIBITS VAPING IN ENCLOSED INDOOR WORKPLACES
10 STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT STRUCTURE AND OPERATION
11 PROPERTY RIGHTS; REMOVAL OF OBSOLETE PROVISION; CRIMINAL STATUTES
12 LOBBYING AND ABUSE OF OFFICE BY PUBLIC OFFICERS
13 ENDS DOG RACING

ALACHUA COUNTY QUESTIONS
1 CHILDREN'S TRUST OF ALACHUA COUNTY AUTHORITY TO LEVY ONE-HALF MILL AD VALOREM TAXES
2 HALF-CENT SALES SURTAX TO IMPROVE SCHOOL FACILITIES

CITY OF GAINESVILLE CHARTER AMENDMENTS
1 GAINESVILLE REGIONAL UTILITIES AUTHORITY
2 CITY COMMISSION ELECTIONS AND TERMS OF OFFICE

No comments:

Post a Comment