If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead.
---Erma Bombeck
Erma Bombeck (1927-96) was a famous humorist of the late 1900s who poked fun at suburban life of that time. Her above comment could apply to me during football season...especially on Saturdays as the college football schedule usually starts at noon and doesn't finish until early Sunday morning. Add to that my interest in soccer and baseball and you have someone who, at least one day of the week (I work Sundays when the NFL plays most of its games), is pretty much stuck in the recliner with my eyes glued to the set. Usually: events and opportunities come along from time to time and I'm not fanatical about having to watch football...but some days it just happens to turn into a long, long string of games. I've noticed something peculiar both about football as well as other team sports: if I'm not especially interested in who will win a particular game, then I tend to become more interested in following it from beginning to end...I wonder if others have the same experience. And I don't bet money on anything...that's one vice that I learned to avoid by directly seeing its effects on others. As for this 2018 season, which is about to begin...
I root for Florida, Miami, and Florida State in that order in college football while I support the Florida NFL teams Miami, Tampa Bay, and Jacksonville in like fashion. By far I like to see the Gators and Dolphins do well, something that hasn't generally been happening too much in recent years. UF does have a new head coach in Dan Mullen and he seems determined to bring back a robust offense to a team that hasn't had one since 2009 during the Tim Tebow era. As for the Miami Dolphins, I have little hope of them sustaining any kind of success with their dull "player's" coach Adam Gase and their equally dull quarterback Ryan Tannenhill…this franchise is suffering from severe apathy and complacency in the crucial leadership positions, although it's apparent on the field that many if not most of the players care deeply about doing their utmost to win. Who knows, maybe they'll do well enough to sneak into the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. As for the Gators, I'd just like to see them (1) have a good offense, (2) be competitive in each game they play, and (3) play a bowl game at season's end...I don't think that's asking too much, do you?
Friday, August 24, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment