Sometimes, what you're looking for is already there. ---Aretha Franklin
I was saddened yesterday morning to find out that Aretha Franklin passed away...many times she brightened up my often melancholy outlook with some incredible music. More than that, though, was her wonderful, genuine personality...she said lots of good stuff over the past 50+ years. The above quote I picked without exactly knowing the context in which she spoke it, but that's often the way with quotes. I don't think, by her focus on the present, that she meant for people not to try and improve themselves or seek a better life for others...Aretha was always a big advocate for positive change. The way I see it, a lot of us have problems with discontent and comparing ourselves unfavorably with others...maybe "they" have more wealth, perceived popularity, recognition, travels and adventures, and so on. However, the only life we will ever experience is that which we have now...and sometimes it's a good idea to stop and reflect on what we have to be grateful for and not on what's all going down around us or who seems to be unfairly doing better than us. It's good to believe in a better future and work for it, but it's equally good to savor the present and what we already have...advice that I too often forget to take for myself...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment