It's been a tradition for a few years here in Gainesville to hold a three-mile race, on the morning of the Fourth of July. The Florida Track Club organizes it, giving out watermelons afterward as prizes...hence the name Melon Run. I've run it a couple of times, the last one two or three years ago under horrible heat and humidity. Despite warm and humid conditions this morning (77 degrees, 87%), I decided to try it again even though I had worked some overtime until midnight the previous night and am no "morning person". Nevertheless, I somehow managed to get up at the appropriate time and got my butt down to Westside Park, where the race began at 8:00...
I was encouraged to see that the organizers had restored the race's original course eastward through Loblolly Woods Park between NW 8th and 16th Avenues, something that was missing the last time I ran it. This race attracts a lot of runners, ranging from little kids to old folks like me (and older). The course is also pretty hilly, a good test for that kind of running. I decided beforehand to run slow, and I did just that, grinding out a 10:24/mile pace and finishing at 31:12...I was flying at the end, could have gone faster. But that's all right: I finished the race and felt pretty doggone good afterwards...speaking of dogs, there were a few of them as well, not to mention intrepid racing-stroller pushers. I enjoyed the sweet spirit present among the participants and came away from it all wanting to return next year...now if only I can get the weather to cooperate more...
Wednesday, July 4, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment