Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite fantasy fiction writers, responsible for several different series in the genre. I've been keeping up more or less with two of them: Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive...it can be difficult waiting for the next installment in an ongoing series as I can forget a lot about what has already happened by the time the next book comes out. In Mistborn, there was an original trilogy and then an appended series to it came out featuring the allomantic gunslinger Waxillian, his sidekick Wayne, and others as they bring law to a corrupt and lawless land. Whoa, you're saying...what the heck is "allomantic"?
In the Mistborn series on this particular fantasy world of Sanderson's someone is allomantic...or practices allomancy...when they possess the ability to digest metals and then act on them and the surrounding metals in the environment, resulting...depending on the metal type and their rare ability...in jumping high, influencing others' emotions, healing oneself quickly, or changing the flow of time around them, to name a few tricks. Wax, as he is usually called, is a "coinshot", frequently performing the Superman stunt of "leaping tall buildings in a single bound"...the story's action quickly becomes three-dimensional because of this. In Shadows of Self, which I just finished reading, Wax and his colleagues are faced with a corrupt alliance of nobles and criminals as well as a threat from the past that could destroy the delicately budding modern society on his world...
Shadows of Self is the second of the Mistborn series featuring Wax and Wayne...I had to quickly reread the previous book to catch my memory back up. It's an engrossing story, as usual expertly told by Sanderson with interesting, distinctive characters that you want to get to know. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment in his series, which I have placed on hold at my local public library...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment