Sunday, June 17, 2018

World Cup of Soccer Now Center Stage

Well, now that the National Basketball Association and National Hockey League playoffs are finally over and done with, we've entered the summer phase of the sports year, when Major League Baseball supposedly dominates.  Yet there is also the USA/Canada pro soccer league Major League Soccer, the National Women's Soccer League, the Women's NBA, and the Canadian Football League, all with their respective regular seasons going on strong...not to mention the world series in college for men's baseball and women's softball.  But this year the FIFA Men's World Cup of soccer is taking place (the women's version the following year), this year's host nation being Russia.  America didn't qualify for the 32-team field, so folks here have to select another country to root for...I chose Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, and Colombia...in that order.  And then England, if none of those work out.  I thought that the recent matches between Portugal and Spain (3-3 draw) and Iceland and Argentina (1-1) were exciting, but Croatia/Nigeria and Morocco/Iran were worth watching as well.  Now that I'm entering my work week, however, I probably won't see much action for a while...

The World Cup is being televised on Fox and Fox 1 Sports channels (13 and 62 here in Gainesville on Cox Cable).  They've been good so far about showing replays, though, so I might still be able to catch up on some of the earlier matches after I get off from work.  I'm also pretty impressed with the commentators on Fox's World Cup wrap-up show...

No comments:

Post a Comment