Sunday, May 27, 2018

2017-18 English Premier League Season is Over

I began to follow professional league soccer in earnest during the fall of 2014, and have kept up with the English Premier League, Mexico's Liga MX, and the United States/Canada Major League Soccer ever since.  The  2017-18 season in England (the regular season determines the champion) saw Manchester City shoot to the top of the standings (or "table" as they call it over there) at the start and never look back, clearly the class of the league.  Their cross-town rival Manchester United finished second, followed in order by a resurgent Liverpool (who made it to the Champions League final before bowing to Real Madrid), Tottenham, last year's champion Chelsea, a slumping Arsenal, and upstart Burnley...closing out the list of teams qualifying for the Champions and Europa League tournaments in 2018-19.  "My" Leicester City finished in tenth place out of the twenty teams in the league after flirting with that seventh-place in the standing that would have won them a tourney spot.  The bottom three teams, Swansea City, Stoke City, and West Bromwich Albion, have been relegated (demoted) to the second-tier English league called the Football League Championship (a misnomer as far as I'm concerned).  Promoted up from that league are Robert Plant's favorite team Wolverhampton, Fulham, another London team, and Cardiff City from Wales.  So although Wales lost its Swansea City team in the Premier League lineup, they'll still have a representative in Cardiff City starting next year...

I have to admit that, although the level of play in English Premier League soccer is so high...much better than what I see in Mexico or the United States...this past season I have followed it in a hit-or-miss fashion.  Their matches have been faithfully shown on NBCSports (Cox Channel 33 in Gainesville) on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but it seemed that more often than not whenever I did tune in to watch the action, the league was taking that weekend off for tournament play.  Well, Mexico's Clausura season is over, too, with underdog Santos Laguna upsetting favored Toluca in their Liguilla tournament championship match...leaving Major League Soccer to watch through the summer until Mexico and England begin their new seasons in August...

No comments:

Post a Comment