Friday, April 27, 2018

Quote of the Week...from Mark Twain

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.                ---Mark Twain.

I think one of the biggest problems people have when undertaking ambitious projects in their lives are others around them who berate their goals and drive.  What's worse, when the inevitable struggles that accompany the beginning and forging of a major endeavor arise, the reaction from others can be equally negative.   I have had projects and goals in the past and a few with which I am currently engaged, but past experience has taught me to keep them close to the vest and not openly share with others outside my supportive family what I am trying to accomplish.  That's enough about Twain's "small people", but what about his "really great"?

I believe with all of my heart that people who have achieved greatness in different areas can play a very important role in helping those pursuing significant, related goals in their lives...the only problem for me is that almost all of the ones who seemed to display any interest in sharing that greatness have been authors and speakers from books, television, and radio.  This "from a distance" encouraging and motivating can only go so far...after all, they haven't a clue about who I am or my own abilities and values, seeing that we've never met.  Sad to say, the people I have encountered over the years who by any calculation would be considered "great", when around me, have seemed more intent on establishing their superiority over me on the social hierarchy totem pole than imparting any sense that I, too, could follow their example.  I have heard stories from people who have led very successful careers, and almost without exception they point to one or more people in their past who instilled confidence and hope that they had what it takes to excel in their own right.  Of course, my wonderful family encourages me out of love and I appreciate that...but what I'm talking about here is what Twain is talking about...successful people outside the family who can reach out to others: Twain says they do reach out...a few others say a few of them helped in their lives...and I say I'll believe it when I see it and I ain't seen it yet. This void for me has been especially remarkable considering the great number of "teachers" I went through in elementary, junior, and senior high school, any of whom could have made a big difference in my life but none chose to.  The NEA can have their self-promoting commercials: I have my own clear memories to the contrary...

No comments:

Post a Comment