Although I like rock music, television, and movies, in truth whenever I have the opportunity to listen to my favorite musical acts, or watch a TV series or movie I like, I find myself rejecting most of my choices...
With rock music, I may like a particular act...but usually, with very few exceptions, I have little-to-no interest in hearing most of their material. It got worse this year when I listened to new album releases from artists I have recently preferred: Arcade Fire, Kasabian, Sufjan Stevens, Spoon, and Gorillaz. I listened through each their new LPs' tracks and concluded that I didn't care for any of them. I've recently heard Twenty One Pilots on the radio, and because I liked some of the songs decided to check out their most recent album...most of that stuff didn't cut it, either. Even with classic bands and solo acts from the past, the overwhelming amount of their recordings don't resonate with me...I'd rather listen over and over again to their very best works and scrap the rest...
When I'm checking the program listings for a favorite TV series, I take care to note which episode is showing before I decide to watch it. No matter what the series...even the original Star Trek, the early Andy Griffith, All in the Family, Columbo, Mary Tyler Moore or Twilight Zone...all series that I like a lot...chances are that whatever episode they're showing is one I don't want to watch. Turns out that most of even my favorite series' episodes I could do without...
And with movies, you'd be correct in assuming that if I owned the DVD for a particular movie, then it would be one of my favorites. So here I am with the Lord of the Ring series (extended version), The Godfather, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Polar Express, The Producers, A Beautiful Mind, and You Only Live Twice...to name a few. Yet whenever I am watching one of these movies I find myself skipping most of the scenes and confining my viewing to just a few, leaving the rest of the movie unwatched...
I wonder whether others are like me in this regard, becoming more and more selective as to what they will watch and listen to. Now there are some things that I am much more open to, though: classical music, ongoing sports events like football, soccer, hockey, and baseball, the U.S. Senate floor proceedings, and live coverage of major news and weather stories. With these, however, my attention isn't completely riveted to what I am hearing and/or watching and I can be engaged in other activities while they are going on...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment