Thursday, November 23, 2017

11/19 Sermon on Questions I'd Ask God, Part 3

This past Sunday I missed the weekly message of The Family Church here in Gainesville due to illness.  Instead, I watched it on the church's YouTube video website...you can, too, through the following link: [link].  The series Questions I'd Ask God continued as senior pastor Philip Griffin discussed another question: How Do I Know What God Wants from Me? The Biblical sources he used are varied...I'll put links to Bible Gateway for some of them as this summary continues...

Pastor Philip presented four fundamental transformations that God wants to work in me: he wants me to be saved, surrendered, sanctified, and spirit-filled.  The salvation part necessarily comes first and involves my recognition that I am powerless in my sin to save myself: only through the atoning sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ and my belief in him will this happen and my heart will truly turn toward God (John 6:40).  Surrendering involves that both of my will and my circumstance (Romans 12:1-2, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).  Sanctification involves avoiding immorality...in particular sexual immorality as the Bible passage states (1 Thessalonians 4:3-5).  To live a Spirit-filled life is important...instead of escaping from reality through alcohol or other drugs (Ephesians 5:17-18).  Philip once again employed the analogy of a sailing ship on the high seas with the sails full of the wind's power (like the Holy Spirit in us) as it drives the ship along...

The Family Church, at 2022 SW 122nd Street, holds its Sunday morning services at 9:30 and 11...there is free coffee between services in the hospitality room next to the entranceway.  A good message, praise music, prayer, friendly folks...a good way to spend a Sunday morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment