Monday, August 14, 2017

Extraordinarily Wet Gainesville Summer Weather Difficult to Bear

This 2017 summer season has proven, at least to me, to be nearly unbearable here in north central Florida with the heat, humidity...and overwhelming precipitation.  Sure, summers in this area are usually associated with wetter weather, but since June the ground in town and around my house has become supersaturated...there's no place for the water to settle anymore.  Sometimes I like to do my running training in my backyard, but recently it's been no fun slogging through what is becoming more of a mud pit in places than a lawn.  And even when I decide that road running in the rain would be okay...may even a welcome respite from the extreme heat when the sun is out...it is almost always accompanied by thunder and lightning.  What will come for the rest of August and beyond? I don't know, but here in Gainesville the rainfall for June and July were 16.86 and 16.70 inches, well over double the average monthly amount of 6-7 inches during this season...I expect a similarly high figure for August as the rain simply will not let up...

No comments:

Post a Comment