Sunday, June 25, 2017

Overhyping of Tropical Storms Leaves Me Apathetic

It looks...at least at this early point...that the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season may be a very active one.  After all, it is still only June and we have already gone through the letter "C" with tropical storm Cindy hitting Lousiana and Texas.  In the eastern Caribbean is an area of disturbed weather that also may well develop further.  And yet, in spite of this, I feel vaguely apathetic about it all...probably not the wisest attitude to take...

I think one reason I tend to look askance at the hype I see on TV about tropical storms is how much more coverage they get than the more continental, unnamed storm systems that often cause enormous damage, injury...and even loss of life.  In particular are those sweeping thunderstorms and tornadoes that periodically cover the lower plains in Texas and Oklahoma and travel through Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama.  And speaking of the named tropical systems, the heavy coverage seems always focused on where the storm in question will strike the coast...the often much more devastating inland flooding caused when it continues inland isn't quite the same news story, for some unknown reason...

I think those folks who tell people living in states the most prone to hurricane strikes to stock up at the start of the hurricane season are probably right...I haven't done so yet, but it makes sense to go ahead and be prepared.  And then completely tune out the annoying ongoing melodrama about what storms Don, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irma, etc. are doing.  The Weather Channel meteorologists are welcome to "bravely" hang out on Florida, Carolina, and Texas beaches as they put on their annual show pretending that they are actually accomplishing something meaningful by getting blown about in front of the camera...but I have better things to do with my life than waste it watching them... 

No comments:

Post a Comment