The Belmont Stakes, the third jewel in three-year-old thoroughbred horse racing's annual Triple Crown, will take place later today...post time is scheduled at 6:37. Neither Always Dreaming nor Cloud Computing, the respective winners in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, will be running...nor will Classic Empire, which finished second in the Preakness. So it's all pretty anticlimactic, this 2017 Belmont, with many unfamiliar names and a few that have run in previous jewels. The current favorite, always subject to change, is Irish War Cry. But Lookin at Lee finished well in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, and it's the one I am going with to win today's event. But as has been the case so many times before, there is a strong chance that a new horse will run away with it all. Although this year's Belmont, the longest of the Triple Crown races at a mile and a half, features few familiar horses, it looks to be the most wide-open of the three, with just about anyone in its twelve-horse field a potential winner. I almost forgot about the Kentucky Derby last month but managed to watch it...I did completely forget about the Preakness. I haven't forgotten the Belmont Stakes, though, and plan to see what happens. C'mon, Lookin for Lee!
Later, after the race...Tapwrit outran Irish War Cry and won it...not the most memorable Belmont by a "longshot"...
Saturday, June 10, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment