Back in the late 1980s when I began to work for the post office, whose employees work under separate collective bargaining agreements between management and four different unions, my own union gave each member a copy of the then-current collective bargaining agreement...a compact, easy-to-tote paperback volume. As I was reading through it one day I noticed what seemed to me to be a rule that was being flagrantly violated as it pertained to certain individuals being eligible to bid by seniority on posted job assignments. I brought this up to my reluctant union steward, who dissuaded me from pressing the issue and introduced me to the concept of "letters of understanding". In many sections of the agreement, whenever a dispute occurs over a passage's meaning and application, a process has to be taken whereby the passage is more precisely interpreted and delineated as to how it applies in the real world of management-employee relations. So going around waving the collective bargaining agreement in people's faces...as if one thoroughly understood the process...is pointless. Because the collective body of precedent and refinement contained within the massive amount of those letters of understanding...along with laws and regulations that can supersede elements of the agreement...make it all much more cumbersome to deal with: that little paperback book turned out to be only the starting place...
I bring up my old collective bargaining agreement as just one example of a foundational document that, while important as creating a structure of rules and/or knowledge in a particular area, is also in itself incomplete...needing much interpretation as those trying to implement it live it out in the real world. Our society is full of these documents...our Constitution is a prime example, as are the scriptures on which different faiths are based. And to be perfectly frank, although these often tend to be treated as original in nature, in fact they have their own precedents from which they were derived. So a televangelist may casually wave the Bible around onstage or a Senator may thrust out his pocket-sized copy of the Constitution during a floor speech...as if that's the be-all and end-all to everything...but there's a lot more to these works, what they represent, and where they came from...
I'm not sure whether I'll make this discussion of foundational documents a weekly topic or whether I'll just write about it from time to time...in any event, there's more to come...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment