Saturday, March 11, 2017
My 2017 Run for Haven 10K Experience
The town of Tioga, a few miles west of Gainesville, holds an annual 10K/5K race in mid-March on a Saturday afternoon, with the theme of celebrating St. Patrick's Day...hence the green clothing in the above picture. Today marked the third straight year I've run in it, always opting for the 10K (6.2 miles) distance. The temperature this time around was relatively moderate in the mid-seventies and the humidity was low. On the other hand, though, the part of the 10K course that went through the woods west of the Tioga neighborhoods was drastically changed due to extensive road construction...we had to run down long stretches of dirt roads with a traction as difficult at times as dry sand on the beach. Yet in spite of that, I managed to run a moderately strong race (for me), maintaining a very consistent 9:28/mile pace throughout. My final time was 58:45 and I finished 42nd out of 115 total finishers for the event. In my men's age 60-64 category, I finished first...against only one other contestant. As a matter of fact, I was the 4th oldest finisher out of the 115. You can view the race results on the following link: [link]...
Most of the participants in Run for Haven chose to run the 5K race. Since both the 5K and 10K events began simultaneously, I once again found myself spending the first mile or so struggling to avoid collisions with others. But eventually we all spread ourselves out and I could enjoy it more. Still, the race was very tiring and I found my chronically sensitive throat rebelling against the heavy breathing involved...by the race's end I was struggling to avoid coughing bouts. The folks running this event were all very supportive and friendly...as were the runners I encountered. All in all a very positive experience...aided by the fact that I sat for a while before the race at the Starbucks a few yards away from the starting line and then used the facilities at the nearby Gainesville Health and Fitness (of which I'm a member) as well as warming up a bit on the treadmill there. I think this Run for Haven, proceeds of which go to support Haven Hospice, has definitely become an annual tradition for me. I wonder what's up next on the racing calendar...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment