Considering how badly the previous election went for me and my candidates, I was eager to get another one behind me, one that wouldn't "matter" as much even if things didn't go my way. Well, thanks to the good people running the show here in Gainesville, Florida, I didn't have to wait long: for some reason unknown to me (and probably most everyone else), they decided to hold city commission elections in March instead of November...guaranteeing a low voter turnout. As faithful as I am to consistently get to the polls, even I nearly let today's election slip by me...
For this election three Gainesville City Commission races were on the ballots. In my precinct, I got to vote for two of them: one at-large seat covering the whole city and one districted seat...that was all that was on my ballot. Once again, I drove the very short distance to my polling place at the county's senior recreation center, walked straight through to the volunteer at the appropriate desk, got my ballot, spent about five seconds filling it out, shoved it into the slot, received my "I Voted" sticker, and then skedaddled out of there. My main impediment during the whole process was having to dodge several seniors in the hallway, a few of whom seemed hell-bent on colliding head-on with me...
As for that senior recreation center, which I joined for free after turning sixty last October, I'm still trying to figure out how I can make use of it. So far, the only attractive thing they offer that doesn't conflict with my work schedule is chess on Wednesday mornings. I've never been a good chess player and the brochure states that someone will be offering some instruction in the game. Maybe I'll try it out sometime in the near future...
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment