Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Just Finished Reading 11th Hour by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro

The book 11th Hour continues the "count" down the Women's Murder Club series, by this point a well-established collaboration between James Patterson and Maxine Paetro.  I just finished reading it, and it was enjoyable and flowed easily and quickly.  The two main story lines were a rogue cop ambushing drug dealers and the discovery of seven unearthed female skulls, dug up from a garden at a famous actor's estate.  Lindsay (homicide investigator), Claire (medical examiner), Cindy (newspaper reporter), and Yuki (assistant d.a.)...close friends and members of the informal Women's Murder Club, progress along with their respective personal lives as well...it's probably a good idea for me not to share the details in case you might be interested in pursuing this series.  But I will say that the protagonists are very likeable and I can easily sympathize with their different struggles and rejoice in their victories...although, of course, they're all completely fictional.  Lindsay Boxer is the main character and works for the San Francisco Police Department, so in reading these books I'm also getting a flavor about what it's like out there in 49ers country...

One thing I like about this series is that the books, along with being comfortably short, present mysteries that make me try to put together different clues and guess the solutions.  Sometimes I'm on target with my conclusions, and sometimes...well, the authors always get the final say on things, don't they...

I'm sure I'll be reading the next Women's Murder Club book soon...titled "12th Something or Other", but in the meantime I'm going to start on my first David Liss novel, titled The Ethical Assassin.  I'm also still reading the science-fiction Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons and have started Frank Peretti's The Oath...