Monday, January 2, 2017

US Senate Swearing-In Ceremony Tomorrow

Ever since 2001, I have enjoyed watching the floor proceedings of the United States Senate on C-Span2 (Gainesville Cox Cable channel 81).  It has always been illuminating to observe how the senators from each party present their views, either as proponents or opponents of scheduled bills or nominations, or during the "morning business" of the Senate session that allows speakers to talk about topics of interest to them.  One of the earliest senators whom I've enjoyed watching, from back then until now, has been Alabama's Jeff Sessions, a staunch conservative with a flair for soft-spoken, persuasive argumentation.  He is now President-Elect Trump's pick for attorney general, and his Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing is scheduled on January 10-11.  This is the same committee that Senator Sessions himself has been a part of for many years, having participated in Supreme Court confirmation hearings for the nominees of both Presidents Bush and Obama.  I'm looking forward to watching at least some of Sessions' hearing, for the Democratic leaders in the Senate have already indicated that they are determined to slow down Trump's cabinet from being quickly confirmed...but at the same time they have a good deal of respect for Senator Sessions as a colleague and friend with whom they've worked extensively in the past.  I don't always agree with his conservative views, but I think he will perform his job well and with integrity.  And I'm looking forward to seeing how he stands up to the grilling...

But while I'm waiting for the confirmation hearings for Jeff Sessions and other Trump cabinet choices, tomorrow I can watch, on that C-Span2 channel, the swearing-in ceremony for the one-third of the Senate body that just got elected last November, either for the first time or reelected as incumbents.  Each senator is sworn in one-by-one, and they usually have their families with them as well as often having a more senior politician from their state to accompany them.  I love the atmosphere of politeness and good feeling that permeates this ceremony...quite the opposite of the unusually acrimonious kind of politics we've had to undergo of late.  The ceremony, according to my TV schedule, is set to last from noon to 4 pm...so I'll just watch a little of it, having to report to work in mid-afternoon. The Senate will then convene its first session for the new 115th Congress after all have been sworn in.  The new Senate alignment will be 52-48 in favor of the Republicans, who lost only two seats in the last election.  As for the U.S. House of Representatives, also scheduled for swearing-in tomorrow, the Democrats are still clearly in the minority, having gained only six seats to now trail the Republicans 241-194...