Always fall in with what you're asked to accept. Take what is given, and make it over your way. My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever's going. Not against: with.
---Robert Frost.
Robert Frost was perhaps the best known American poet of the twentieth century...I always appreciated his "road less traveled by" line. The above quote of his, however, runs against much of the accepted thinking of this day as people are encouraged to be defiant in the face of challenges and resistant to compromise. I agree with this to the extent that one needs to hold to his or her own beliefs and not dilute them in order to accommodate others. But there comes a point where I need to accept the circumstances I find myself in whether they are what I would have wanted...or something entirely different...
Take this past presidential election as an example. I'm sitting here right now watching the inauguration of the winner, Donald Trump. I did not support him and continue to have strong reservations about him as my president. But that's what he is now: my president...and as such we are bound together for this season in our respective lives. I want him to succeed in defending this country and upholding the Constitution, while at the same time will most likely stand in loyal opposition to some of his decisions...and I have every intention of writing about them. So whatever happens with this president, I for myself plan to "hold my own"...but here we are and I think it's finally about time we need to "take what is given" and make it over our way...