Wednesday, January 11, 2017

A Good Radio App for Smartphones

Along with the advancement of our digital age in technology has arisen a whole slew of words like "cyberpunk" , "cyberespionage", "cybercrime", "cyberterrorism" ,"cyberbullying", etc...I'd like to add a new one to describe myself: cyberklutz.  In my family I am almost always the last...usually by far...to pick up on the latest improvements out there in the...uh...cybersphere.  This is especially true when it comes to the different smartphone apps available.  But I did manage to find one that has proven to be very useful (and free): TuneIn Radio...

With TuneIn Radio, I have been able to daily listen to current news broadcasts in the languages I'm studying, helping me to gradually attune myself to being able to distinguish the words being spoken.  I can also listen to just about any radio station out there, including local ones in my Gainesville vicinity.  A much greater choice of music types is offered here: I've mentioned before that I love old, traditional Christian hymns...well, there's a station here that provides these great old songs.  TuneIn Radio also provides replay broadcasts from different radio and television talk/news shows.  I think that humorist Phil Hendrie is an extraordinary talent as he manipulates his voice to create many different characters as well as the impression that they are all together talking with each other on the air...now I can hear his recent shows.  And the two diametrically opposite political commentators whom I have chosen to follow, the liberal Rachel Maddow and the conservative Mark Levin, can also be heard on TuneIn Radio if I happen to miss one or more of their shows...

The only drawback to this app is that it is a drain on my cell phone's power.  I've heard a radio ad recently for a different free app that is supposed to pick up radio stations without doing this.  I'd like to try it out, but I wonder whether it will provide the great diversity of programming that TuneIn Radio does...