Saturday, December 10, 2016

Adding PJ Harvey's New Album to My Favorites of '16

Having written only a few days ago about my three favorite albums of 2016, I now feel like expanding that list to four, having obtained a copy of PJ Harvey's The Hope Six Demolition Project after listening a track from it played on my Music Choice TV Indie channel.  Until then I had never heard of her and had to do a little research to find out about this talented musician.  It turns out that PJ Harvey (the initials stand for Polly Jean) is an English alternative rock artist who has been recording since 1988, and as a solo act since 1993.  She has won several awards as well as having her albums ranked among the all-time best.  On this latest release of hers are three tracks I especially like: The Wheel, The Orange Monkey, and Near the Memorials to Vietnam and Lincoln.  The lyrics range from love songs to social and political commentary, and the instrumentation and style from one song to the next is diverse and multilayered...this is one good, creative musician and singer.  I've also picked up her acclaimed 2000 album Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea and have been enjoying it as well, my favorite track being Good Fortune, which has a grungy, Nirvana-like sound to it...

PJ Harvey has released nine studio albums so far, and I'd like to hear them all.  It's funny how some great musical acts can escape my attention for all these years...well, maybe its not that funny: radio nowadays is a bastion of mediocrity with regard to current popular music and continually ignores quality artists...