Although it seemed pretty clear a little past midnight following the November 8th presidential election that Donald Trump had pulled off an improbable win over Hillary Clinton by upsetting her in the hitherto "blue" states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin, it is now approaching three weeks later and a movement is steamrolling, begun by Green Party candidate Jill Stein and now being picked up by the Clinton campaign, to have manual recounts in those three states. The margins for Trump in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are razor-thin while he still leads Clinton by some 70,000 votes in Pennsylvania. Stein's stated purpose in going for the recounts is to restore public confidence in the voting system: there had been allegations of possible Russian hacking of voting machines to tip the tabulating in favor of Trump following the revelation that Vladimir Putin may have been behind the WikiLeaks releases of emails designed to damage Clinton's campaign in the days just preceding the election. A computer scientist at the University of Michigan, J. Alex Halderman, although skeptical about any hacking, did say that that the software put into the machines could have been compromised beforehand and suggested that the only effective way to ascertain the integrity of the vote would be to have a manual recount...
I did not support Donald Trump, but I believe he was elected fair and square. The responsibility for the outcome of this presidential election, should this incoming president prove to have been a poor choice for the job as I suspect he will be, is on the American people who voted for him with the full knowledge of what he is all about, as well as on those citizens who decided to sit out this election. I agree with Professor Alderman and Jill Stein, who stated that she would have demanded a recount regardless who had won: there is a need to dispel suspicions that this election was tampered with by a foreign country. And if these recounts do go through, the best outcome from them that I see will be to have Trump's victory confirmed and the process vindicated...in spite of my opinion that Hillary Clinton would have been a much better president. Should the unlikely happen and the recounts throw those states...and the electoral college majority...to Clinton, I fear a very scary period of turmoil and division for the future, as well as a breakdown in faith in our electoral process. But let's go ahead and do the recounts before we jump prematurely to conclusions. As far as I am concerned, Trump is the president-elect until definitively proven otherwise...