Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Escape the Election With The Weather Channel

The Weather Channel came up with a pretty cool idea for those of us who are completely burned out on this year's election: from three o'clock this afternoon until midnight, it changes its programming to something it calls "Escape the Election".  While some of the media outlets are gearing up for extreme election results coverage and analysis, this channel will be continuously presenting beautiful nature scenes, accompanied by light jazz music.  Not that The Weather Channel gets into politics anyway, but I guess their thinking is that they'll get more viewers with their promise of "no coverage".  It just so happens that I'll be at work for the entire duration of this alternative to the election: I would have preferred them to have extended their show until at least two in the morning.  On the other hand, I have a surefire remedy for those who don't want to risk seeing election coverage on their television set: TURN IT OFF!  Go sit outside, go to a park, do a jigsaw puzzle, play a board or card game with your family, take a nap, read a book, clean out the garage, listen to your own music collection, cook, meditate, pray, eat, go running or biking or whatever sport you like...I think you get my point.  Besides, I seriously doubt that every single TV channel will be devoting itself to the election results...I imagine that most of them aren't.  Still, I'm happy that The Weather Channel is offering this service today.  Only one problem: sooner or later, we're all gonna have to come to terms with the election results.  Sigh...

Oh, by the way, you might just want to keep off the Internet for the rest of the day, too.  And that especially means Facebook! Well, unless, that is, you're one of those who thrives in the middle of all this political crap...