Well, it's getting closer and closer to the day I've long been looking forward to...since early in 2015, as a matter of fact. Of course, the great, wonderful day I'm speaking of is...the day AFTER the presidential election, Wednesday November 9th...only 18 more days and counting! This relentless, unprecedentedly negative campaign has rendered watching certain TV channels like CNN, Fox, and MSNBC worthless...unless you want to watch a panel of "experts" and spin artists yell at each other across their little "squares" that are more reminiscent of the Brady Brunch or Hollywood Squares than an actual, reasonable discussion of the candidates and what they will do if elected. Unless we have a repeat of the 2000 election debacle...and I don't see that happening...there will naturally be wall-to-wall coverage of the election results, but it will be more news and analysis-oriented instead of this disgusting spinning by interested parties out to convince irresponsible voters to finally get around to making up their minds...after having months upon months to have already done so. Come that Wednesday morning next month, the inflammatory, personal invective currently being hurled about won't matter anymore: only the results will count....
I've written a number of times on this blog about the 2016 presidential campaign, whom I support, whom I oppose...and the reasons why. I'm not a campaigner, though...although if you want to go down that road then good for you. My Facebook newsfeed page is getting to be almost as impossible to bear as those cable television news channels, with advocates for either Trump or Clinton posting mostly negative material about the other. Although there were a couple of posts made that I "liked" because of their editorial significance, I seriously doubt that this use of social media will do very much to change people's minds...mostly it puts those posting this stuff in a situation of being pigeonholed as a certain political type who, like the campaigns themselves, will avail themselves of whatever mudslinging opportunities they find on the Internet. So ultimately this serves to discredit them in my mind, well beyond the election. I hope, when this sordid election is finally finished, that some of these folks, who seem completely spaced out right now with their political fanaticism and even conspiracy theories, will return to a saner mindset and rejoin us on planet Earth. Well, I can at least hope...