I remember back in 2004, during the baseball playoff series between the New York Yankees and their perennial doormat the Boston Red Sox, I was listening to my local Fox Sports Radio station on 104.9 kHz. It was just after the Bronx Bombers routed Boston in a game and had built up a 3-0 series lead when one of the announcers, a dyed-in-the-wool Sox fan, repeatedly lamented, "The Yankees are the dogs...and the Red Sox are the hydrants". I never forgot that tirade, especially since Boston turned around and did the unthinkable: they came back from a series 3-0 deficit and won it...and then went on to win their first World Series in nearly a century. I also never forgot that station, which a few years later sadly switched its format from sports talk to country music (it's sad when a change is made from any format to c&w). And then, not too long ago, this station, whose call letters are WYGC and is based a few miles northwest of Gainesville in High Springs, switched again to playing a wide range of popular music, both rock and pop, from the past. But that changed, too, when just a few weeks ago WYGC went to talk radio...
When you say the words "talk radio", that almost always means "conservative talk radio", because it's a rare thing indeed to hear liberal or even politically centrist talk shows on the radio anymore. Alan Colmes has a show on the Fox Radio Network that I used to be able to pick up on a weak AM station here in Gainesville, but I don't think they're airing it here anymore. And with WYGC's new format, it looks like more of the "same ol' same ol'" as I hear the early afternoon rebroadcasts from the reactionary Imus morning TV show, while late at night they have the Jim Bohannon show. Well, at least Bohannon, who likes to be called "Jimbo", while conservative in his convictions, does tend to show some decorum and tact in his programs...something sorely lacking in just about every other conservative talk radio show around. I've only heard these two shows so far, and I can't seem to find the station's website...if they in fact have one...to determine their program schedule. But I'm holding out some hope that they'll find some room somewhere to put in some programming with a broader appeal to the general population besides just teabaggers and right wing populist/nationalists...