Thursday, September 15, 2016
Three 5K Races in Area This Saturday
Last Friday I was considering running in a local 5K race, to take place at Cofrin Nature Park off Newberry Road the next morning. But I was tired that night when I got off from work at midnight and decided to defer my racing to another day. Now it's the following Thursday and I'm looking at three 5K events, all scheduled for Saturday morning. One is the Gainesville Youth Chorus Run/Walk & Fun Run at St. Francis Academy on NW 39th Avenue, one is the Sam Strong Run 2 End Duchenne (a form of muscular dystrophy) in Newberry, and the other is the Hunting for a Cure 5K (to cure sarcoma, a type of cancer) in Williston. I can't run in them all, and if I feel like I did last week, I won't run in any of them. But I also know that nobody around here is going to schedule any 5K races on a Sunday or Monday morning, when I've had plenty of rest. So maybe I'll just have to tough it out and get up and run in one of these events Saturday morning...that Youth Chorus race should be the easiest to get to...although that area can be pretty hilly. The course is described as cross-country/trail, and the race is set to begin at 9 am. The Newberry race starts at 8:30 and might be easier to handle. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I feel about it all when I get off from work again tomorrow night...